Last night I was reading “A Brief Respite” in the New York Times Magazine and was knocked out by the phrase that “a nap might be the highest form of wellness”. While not a napper by nature, after having a child whose sleep habits are a sporadic (at best), napping has been more survival than luxury…and not to mention… kind of amazing. But honestly is there anything more decadent than falling asleep AND waking up on your own with sun-dappled light pouring in? Um, if you’re a parent of a child that keeps unusual nocturnal hours, the answer is a big. glaring. no. Here are a few must-haves for elevating the basic snooze.
April showers bring May flowers...but wait, it's still. only. February. We still have months to go before those flowers are ready to bloom, but in effort to fight seasonal depression I headed to the rabbit hole that is Pinterest for some springy inspiration. If you ever needed a push to purchase those use-only-once-a-year-china, this is it. (Here's looking at you irresistible bunny plates!) In the meantime, it's time to stock up on some fresh flowers, and if I turn up the heat, I can at least go down to wearing just two layers.
Image credit - BlesserHouse, OurSouthernHome and PotteryBarn via Pinterest
New Year, New Me
Happy New Year! This is a bit of a novel, so you may want to grab a drink and a snack...here goes.
I'm notoriously bad at the whole resolution game. Instead of specific goals, I vow to simply " Be Better" all around - be healthier, more present, work harder, the whole bit. While that's nice in theory, as Mr. C not so bluntly put it recently, "That doesn't mean anything." And, he's right. It really doesn't...it got me thinking. What can I do, in attainable terms, to be my best self. I'm still ironing out the details, but so far, here are a few:
1. Originally it was to eat cleaner, but with the left over Christmas cookies and ever-present cheese in my fridge, I wasn't off to a squeaky start. Instead, I've opted to let myself indulge in the delish treats as long as I drink half my body weight in water each day which to me, is harder. Hopefully my soon-to-be crystal clear complexion will overcome the fact that I'm peeing constantly.
2. Let go of some of that mom-guilt. Everyone has heard about this, and let me tell you, it. is. real. Backstory: I've scaled back to working part time from home, which is amazing, but it also means juggling, a lot. And even though I'm home most of the time, when I'm not, or when I'm home, but not as present, I feel horrible. This doesn't seem productive for anyone. Instead, I'm making a real effort to acknowledge those feelings, recognize that stepping away to get my nails done or enjoying a happy hour with colleagues does not in fact cancel out all the good-mom stuff I do day in and out.
3. Read. Before becoming a mom, I was a voracious reader. Afterward, not so much. Lately I've gotten back into it, and it literally makes me SO happy. The running list on my phone of books I want to read somehow disappeared, welp!, so please let me know if there are any good ones you'd recommend. The Last Mrs.Parrish is at the top of my list!
If you've made it this far, thank you! Here are a few extra tidbits that have been happening this week:
- For some reason I'm having a leggings moment. I know, I know, but honestly when it's snowy and cold outside, and I'm crawling around on the floor with the babe inside, jeans can feel a bit restrictive. These velvet ones seem like a nice hybrid between polished and practical. Add for under $20, also a no-brainer.
- A case for hibernating a bit more? Yes, please.
- As our 100 year old fixer upper transforms into the house of our dreams, I'm fantasizing about completely impractical, horse-before-cart details. Maybe we need to finish painting before we go all in on the gallery wall? Can't hurt to get some inspo!
-Summer is a while off, but this tote has me dreaming of sunny destinations.
- We recently got a new car (yay!) and I'm determined to keep it looking pristine. I love the idea of this organizer.
<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12041741/?claim=2gkdgjjegar">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>
Long associated with effortless chic, Aerin Lauder has teamed up with Williams Sonoma for a home collection that is truly and utterly drool-worthy! It has all her signature elements, white and gold with a hint of island a la palm frond that I can't get enough of (Hello, get in my kitchen!), and a touch of fresh blue pattern that has me craving for an excuse to dine alfresco. The collection covers a variety of price points and offers oodles of giftable items (one of you, one for me, two for you, two for me...). Here are a few of my favorites:
Check out the complete collection here.
I love summer, but there is something irresistible about those first crisp days of fall. The days get shorter and wrapping up in a cozy throw to fight off that first chill is undeniably cozy. We have bundles of them in each room (the ones that are handmade are in constant rotation) and in the trunk of our car for impromptu picnics. Here are few gorgeous neutral throws to stock up on this season:
Who knew there was so much to learn about cutting board maintenance?
It's time to re-evaluate our media diet.
Giving these jean alternatives some serious consideration.
This cheat sheet on keeping houseplants alive is mandatory reading.
How to sip your way to a flawless complexion. (Spoiler alert: Lots of water ahead.)
Our new-found favorite day date spot is here.
If there ever was a kitchen to crush on, it would have to be the dreamy one from Father of the Bride. A classic from start to finish, this kitchen was probably the first one I ever stopped and took notice of. (And obviously it is the handiwork of Nancy Myers.) While it clearly has a 90's vibe, it is full of timeless elements that still inspire envy.
Finding great interior shots of the kitchen was a bit tricky, but the above give a glimpse into this homey kitchen full of white, cream and butcher block. Here are a few ways to incorporate a touch of this classic look into your kitchen.
Reason 1001 why old Hollywood was classier than today - their vacation style.
For those who love to bake, this is a game-changer.
Why featuring some greenery in the bathroom might be the best idea ever.
This blush shoe moment has me craving spring!
El Nino may have tricked us into thinking about spring in December, but Blizzard Jonas has blown in to remind the East Coast what winter is all about. The wind is howling, snowflakes are frantically swirling and a couple literally just cross-country skied down our street. This winter wonderland has me dreaming of our upcoming ski trip and curling up in front of a fire. Here are a few dreamy fireplaces that are keeping me warm until then:
Have you seen the new HGTV Dream House yet? (If not, check it out here.) It is seriously dreamy! Located on Merritt Island, off the coast of Florida, this year's Dream Home completely embodies modern seaside chic with calming blues and whites peppered with nautical nods. However what I love about this house, unlike so many seaside-inspired styles, is that it's less shabby chic and more sophisticated island glam. One of my favorite rooms in the space was the tangerine guestroom. Decked out in varying juicy shades of orange, it felt cozy and upscale at the same time. Check it out:
Ready to move in, too? Here are a few easy ways to incorporate this punchy color into your home (ocean view not included):