Last night I was reading “A Brief Respite” in the New York Times Magazine and was knocked out by the phrase that “a nap might be the highest form of wellness”. While not a napper by nature, after having a child whose sleep habits are a sporadic (at best), napping has been more survival than luxury…and not to mention… kind of amazing. But honestly is there anything more decadent than falling asleep AND waking up on your own with sun-dappled light pouring in? Um, if you’re a parent of a child that keeps unusual nocturnal hours, the answer is a big. glaring. no. Here are a few must-haves for elevating the basic snooze.
Spring has sprung, sort of…with snow. And like any respectable New Yorker, I’m craving some sunshine pronto. We have a trip brewing, but until then, I’m channeling warm weather vibes with woven accessories. Half Jane Birkin, half Sophia a la Golden Girls, and available at a complete range of price points, these beauties are giving me all the feels. Here are a few of my favorites - #getinmycartnow.
Eye Candy Alert
Guilt-Free Binge Watching
Every once in a while there is a show that is just perfection - plot, cast, and hello, costumes. SATC, Downtown, Mad Men, The Americans (more on them later) and now The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. While Mr. C was traveling in the Big Easy, I indulged in some serious binge-watching on Amazon Prime. What started as a lark, turned into a serious eye-candy addition in a matter of minutes! In the retro vein of Mad Men, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel tells the story of a woman whose picture perfect 1950's life gets turned on it's head, and while hilarity ensues, and seriously, it does!, the clothes deserve a post of there own. So much so that you could literally watch it on mute and still be wooed. If you haven't already seen it, do. You'll thank me later. Here are a few sartorial standouts:
Image Credits: Vogue, Refinery29, Pinterest, IMDB, Vulture
Have you seen it yet? What are your favorite binge-worthy shows?
New Year, New Me
Happy New Year! This is a bit of a novel, so you may want to grab a drink and a snack...here goes.
I'm notoriously bad at the whole resolution game. Instead of specific goals, I vow to simply " Be Better" all around - be healthier, more present, work harder, the whole bit. While that's nice in theory, as Mr. C not so bluntly put it recently, "That doesn't mean anything." And, he's right. It really doesn't...it got me thinking. What can I do, in attainable terms, to be my best self. I'm still ironing out the details, but so far, here are a few:
1. Originally it was to eat cleaner, but with the left over Christmas cookies and ever-present cheese in my fridge, I wasn't off to a squeaky start. Instead, I've opted to let myself indulge in the delish treats as long as I drink half my body weight in water each day which to me, is harder. Hopefully my soon-to-be crystal clear complexion will overcome the fact that I'm peeing constantly.
2. Let go of some of that mom-guilt. Everyone has heard about this, and let me tell you, it. is. real. Backstory: I've scaled back to working part time from home, which is amazing, but it also means juggling, a lot. And even though I'm home most of the time, when I'm not, or when I'm home, but not as present, I feel horrible. This doesn't seem productive for anyone. Instead, I'm making a real effort to acknowledge those feelings, recognize that stepping away to get my nails done or enjoying a happy hour with colleagues does not in fact cancel out all the good-mom stuff I do day in and out.
3. Read. Before becoming a mom, I was a voracious reader. Afterward, not so much. Lately I've gotten back into it, and it literally makes me SO happy. The running list on my phone of books I want to read somehow disappeared, welp!, so please let me know if there are any good ones you'd recommend. The Last Mrs.Parrish is at the top of my list!
If you've made it this far, thank you! Here are a few extra tidbits that have been happening this week:
- For some reason I'm having a leggings moment. I know, I know, but honestly when it's snowy and cold outside, and I'm crawling around on the floor with the babe inside, jeans can feel a bit restrictive. These velvet ones seem like a nice hybrid between polished and practical. Add for under $20, also a no-brainer.
- A case for hibernating a bit more? Yes, please.
- As our 100 year old fixer upper transforms into the house of our dreams, I'm fantasizing about completely impractical, horse-before-cart details. Maybe we need to finish painting before we go all in on the gallery wall? Can't hurt to get some inspo!
-Summer is a while off, but this tote has me dreaming of sunny destinations.
- We recently got a new car (yay!) and I'm determined to keep it looking pristine. I love the idea of this organizer.
New York Fashion Week! And while the temperatures are still hovering around 80 #thankyouverymuch, this week truly marks the start of fall, much more so than Labor Day. Fashion enthusiasts the world over start to swarm the city, and every corner turns in to an impromptu photo shoot for street style. And while of course, this makes traffic a nightmare; it also re-energizes the city. It's a buzz that feels almost palpable and full of promise for the season to come. I, for one, can't wait!
Who knew there was so much to learn about cutting board maintenance?
It's time to re-evaluate our media diet.
Giving these jean alternatives some serious consideration.
This cheat sheet on keeping houseplants alive is mandatory reading.
How to sip your way to a flawless complexion. (Spoiler alert: Lots of water ahead.)
Our new-found favorite day date spot is here.
To instantly up the flirty factor, add a blush shoe. Heeled, flat, sandal, loafer...the shade goes with everything, works in nearly every style and is a fun take on a traditional nude hue. Plus it helps elongate the legs - always a good thing! Pair open-toed options with similarly monotone polish shades - whites and pinks look feminine and chic - or contrast in bold tones - think tangerine or mint - for an unexpected pop!
The first day of spring, it snowed. And although it was really just a dusting, it was as if Mother Nature was saying, "Now wait just a minute..." Thankfully it seems spring has spring (for real) and not a moment too soon! Here a few things I'm excited about this season:
- Farmer's Markets - We try to eat as seasonally as possible, and I'm so ready for zucchini, artichokes, fresh herbs, and sweet peas. Here is a cheat sheet for what produce to pick up this season.
-Tulips! Any color, any style, and combination is perfect. They add instant springiness (real word?) to any room and the more, the merrier!
- Banishing tights (and socks) for good. Each year, I do this rather stupid thing where once I stop wearing tights, I can't go back. Instead, I'll opt for fun patterned pants (these wide leg and these paisley print are amazing!) or jeans, flats and slightly chilled ankles. Does this make total sense? Not really, but it's a self-inflicted rule that I refuse to break. My bare ankles take a stance and will the warm weather upon us.
- Weekend escapes. We try to get out and explore all year round (two weeks ago we stayed in a 19th century lighthouse!), but doing so in the spring (and the fall) is the best! Warm enough to venture out of the car to check out hidden spots, but without the summer traffic!
- My Birthday!!
- Bike Rides. Lazy afternoon rides near the beach are my favorite. How fun are these cruisers in aqua?!
What's on your spring to-do list?
I don't know about you, but I'm seriously ready for some sun, and not the hovering-slightly-above-freezing sunny day we had today. After a few scrolls through Instagram, where it seems like everyone is at the beach, I'm ready to pack my bags for warmer locales. Here is what I'd bring!
1. J-CrewSunglasses in Betty/ 2. Dolce & Gabbana /3. Tuckernuck Tassle Earrings / 4. Eugenia Kim Fedora/ 5. Tory Burch Tunic/ 6. Butter London Polish in Jolly Good 7. Castaner Espadrilles/ 8. Calypso Tote
Here's to thinking warm thoughts!
Reason 1001 why old Hollywood was classier than today - their vacation style.
For those who love to bake, this is a game-changer.
Why featuring some greenery in the bathroom might be the best idea ever.
This blush shoe moment has me craving spring!