Daylight savings time is officially less than one month away (but whose counting?!), and I'm craving some sunny vibes. I've already switched up my bedding for a lighter, yet still cozy feel, indulged in some iced lattes, from under a heavy throw, and am ready to trade in my robe for a lighter, brighter version. While that may be jumping a bit too far ahead (it's literally snowing as I write this!), these lightweight beauties have me ready for spring.
1. Eberjay - Super delicate and feminine, this robe can easily be bridal, but doesn't have to be limited to just the big day.
2. Oscar de la Renta (Bloomingdales) - A fun poppy pattern makes it an easy transition piece.
3. Ralph Lauren (Bloomingdales) - A total classic. I love that it looks borrowed from the boys, but is still trim.
4. Pretty Plum Sugar - This one is my favorite! I love that it comes in a light and short version. And the eye mask? What's not to love?!
5. Pretty Plum Sugar - Featuring a soft poppy pattern, this is a fun, spring-y wrapper.
6. Calvin Klein - Incredibly soft, this dove gray option is the perfect weight to wear alone or thrown over pjs.
7. Oscar de la Renta (Bloomingdales) - I love this one! It begs to be taken somewhere sunny and the bright pattern could make for a fun cover up.
8. DKNY - Sure, it's black, but it's timeless and the texture is completely luxe.
Do you remember 100 years ago when I was writing? I know, I barely recall it either. Life got busy, as it does, and then cold season happened. In a big way. Coughing, nose-blowing, voice gone, the works. It's one of the busiest times of the year, so I pumped myself full of antibiotics and Airbourne and tackled 6 events in 2 1/2 weeks. I wasn't contagious (thank you very much amoxicillin), but I still wasn't feeling (or let's face it, looking) so hot, BUT I was able to fake it. Here's how:
- Wake Up Early. I know, I know, this sounds crazy when you're feeling lousy. Listen, sleep is important, especially when you're not feeling well, but you know you always feel the worst when you wake up and when you go to bed. Wake up even just 10 minutes earlier than usual to give yourself time to pop a couple of Advil and get the worst part over. You'll likely be moving a little slower than usual so adding that buffer will keep you on time.
- Heat It Up. Hot water with lemon, hot tea, hot showers. Embrace them all. Those extra couple of minutes are clutch here. It's amazing what some hot water can do!
- Damage Control. If you were blowing your nose like I was, you're bound to be red and raw. Opt for a super nourishing moisturizer to keep dryness in check. This one from VMV Hypoallergenics was my go-to (with this one at night for extra healing). Spot treat redness with a tinted green concealer and then top of with a nude tone. Curl your lashes and add an extra layer of mascara to your top lashes to open up your eyes. Skip the lipstick since lips will likely be dry (another beautiful side effect), but add some color to your cheeks. Look for a cream formula for a dewy, well-rested, so-not-sick look.
- Pull It Together. When you're not feeling well, there is the tendency to want throw on yoga pants and call it a day. However I'm a big believer in "If you look good, you feel good, you do good." And if there was ever a time when you need to do good, it's for a work function with your favorite magazine! (Here's looking at you Vogue.) Go for high impact, low maintenance pieces. A no-fail LBD with a blazer, cashmere turtle neck with stand out accessories or a simple leather skirt paired with an chunk knit make it look like you put in effort, plus give you the cozy factor. Double win. Also, and maybe this is just me, but I feel like my hair never looks good when I feel sick. I don't even try to force it to do anything, I simply pull it back in a simple pony or bun. One less thing to worry about.
-Drink More Fluids. But for real. Not only will you chase away that cold quicker, but your skin will thank you before AND after your sick spell.
Here's to feeling better, faster!
-Ask yourself this - are you in need of a chic-over?
-I used to think canning was a little Pioneer Woman, and honestly, it is AND it's the best thing ever. Applesauce was my gateway drug, and now I'm totally on board. Check out this for canning inspiration.
- Growing up, my family has always been full of morning people. I'm talking no alarm clock, up with the sun, annoyed that paper hasn't been delivered yet and it's 5:15, morning people. And in true nature form, I'm gradually waking up earlier and earlier, although I still often depend on my alarm clock. Check out the routines of these morning motivators to get see how much you could be doing while everyone else is still snoozing.
- And while productive mornings are incredible, it's also important to go to bed early to get some much needed rest. Case in point.
-The East Coast has really been spoiled with our Indian Summer, but alas it is starting to cool down. If the idea of shortened days gives you the shutters, read this. You may just be inspired.
TGIF! Here are a few finds that I've been loving this week:
- Girl crush confession - I'm a bit enamored by women who seem to have it completely together. I'm talking about the women who have run 5 miles, in flawless sportswear, cooked an amazing breakfast, pulled together Instaworthy lunches in their spotless kitchens all by the time you've had to wake up and drink an espresso. This amazing piece in Business Insider sheds some light on how some people seem to get more done.
- As an HGTV enthusiast, I love the idea of scoping out secret gems at flea markets, but in reality I'm often overwhelmed. Check this out for how to best upcycle those vintage finds.
- Speaking of vintage, these retro kitchens were ahead of their time.
- It's never to early to think about adding staple clothing to your wardrobe. This jacket is incredible.
- Adding a scarf is an easy way to infuse extra oomph to a simple outfit. This easy-to-follow gif breaks down the looks. I'm obsessed with the bow-tie for work and the head wrap for weekends.
Some weeks, the word crazy just doesn't seem to do it justice. And after a relaxing trip to the Caribbean (more details on that soon), heading back to reality felt especially well, real. In the midst of playing catch-up on life, these 5 things have caught my eye:
Social Media Formulas - Want more IG likes? Apparently there is a method to the madness. Check it out.
Summer is all about fresh produce. Consider this your farmer's market cheat sheet. Current obsession - fresh plums.
This bag has everything for the warmer months - clean, streamlined design, perfect handles and a touch of monogram. Perfection.
Newly discovered and totally enamored - cutest gift idea for every occasion.
My favorite evenings are spent near the water (pool, ocean, lake, you name it). However, as the sun goes down, I'm the first one to feel the chill in the air. Balance the drop in temperature by pairing chunky knits with shorts for a polished, yet cozy, feel. Keep the look relaxed by layering over-sized sweaters (much more chic than just a plain sweatshirt) with tailored shorts (and make sure they are still visible underneath to avoid any of those is-she-wearing-pants situations). Pair with strappy sandals or Sperrys, and you're set. Here are few pairings that I can't get enough of:
May is one of my favorite months. Not only is it my birthday (!), but May represents the kick off to summer AND that means summer Fridays. Those blissful days of wrapping up at 1pm and getting a jumpstart on the weekend. And whether catching the cannonball out East or heading upstate, one thing is for sure, you need your bag to travel (and look great while doing so). Check out the below options to take on the weekend in style.
Happy Friday! This week has been a busy one (when is it not, really?) but these are worth taking pause for:
- Can't stop thinking about this dress. It may have to happen.
- Harper's broke down style icons by city. I think NYC needs a recount. Dallas is spot on.
- This book is currently on my nightstand. It's fun any breezy and makes me long for 1950's NYC.
- Martha knows best. Check out her breakdown of pantry must-haves to always have stocked. Do you have anything you need?
- This week's mask was pushed back until Wednesday, but this one made it worth the wait!
Maybe I've watched one too many episodes of The Golden Girls, but I have a serious soft spot for the Palm Frond Print. Fun and sunny with just the right amount of whimsy, this poppy print adds a certain wink to otherwise streamlined basics.