Today was a rainy Spring day in the city. Iffy and ever-changing Spring weather can make for tricky morning wardrobe choices - its chilly now, but what about later? You don't want to be without a warm enough coat, nor do you want to be all bundled up for no reason. Here are a few tips for looking pulled together during those tricky weather situations:
- Check the weather the morning of. Ok, this seems like a no-brainer, but it's definitely the first step. (I aim to never be totally unprepared for the rain-snow-lightening-heat wave, etc.) With that said, I admit that I'm fairly obsessed with knowing the weather at all times, and I like to be armed with all the details. The Weather Underground app is the best thing ever. It provides seriously local weather based on 42,000+ weather stations around the country, so you really know what is happening around you. I love that it gives you an hour-by-hour breakdown (crucial for deciding what to wear for the commute) and what the real temperature is vs. what it feels like.
- Layer Love - Spring in NY is incredibly fickle. In fact today it rainy, flurried and was sunny all in the course of a few hours! Arm yourself with layers that you can take on and off to avoid freezing or sweating. I like to op for layers of silk and cashmere which can provide warmth, but also let you breathe. I'm a huge fan of cashmere wraps. They offer warmth without bulk.
- Color Burst - When it's dull and grey outside, I like to make a point to wear a bright color to lift my mood. Love these colorful ones from Joe Fresh!
- Simple Hair - In the case of weather vs. hair, weather will always win. Adjust beauty routines accordingly. If hair is curly, embrace it! Otherwise go for a simple ballerina bun or braid, and some extra-hold hairspray.
- Bright Beauty - Nothing perks up a rainy day like a bright lip. Right now I'm loving an orange-red lipstick. I feels fresh and bold, but still entirely office friendly. Not a bold lip girl, try a bright manicure. Right now I'm wearing Lacquered Up by essie.
- In the Trenches - Nothing is more classic than the trench coat. I have a couple, but for chilly mornings, it's best to look for one that is lined and on the longer side. Michael Kors has some great ones.
- Wellies - If you get nothing else, invest in a pair of Hunter Boots. They give an air of English charm and keep feet dry.
- Travel-Size Umbrella - On those days when you're not sure what the weather will do, it's always best to have an umbrella just case. Look for compact, durable umbrellas that you can stash in your bag without weighing you down. I like Totes minis - they are light and available in a variety of colors and patterns.