I love the whole idea of the Kentucky Derby, the style (hats! seersucker!), the horses and, of course, the cocktails! Here is a Derby classic, the Mint Julep as seen in The Joy of Cooking, in honor of this weekend's festivities.
- Start by chilling a 14-16 oz glass or silver mug in the refrigerator
- Combine in a bar glass: 2tsp Sugar Syrup, 6 medium-sized mint-leaves, and 1 dash of bitters
- Brush leaves gently with a muddler and stir
- Pour 1 large jigger bourbon whisky and stir again
- Remove serving glass (julep cup) from refrigerator, pack it with ice and strain it into the above mixture. With a bar spoon, churn ice up and down. Add ice within 3/4 inch of top.
- Add 1 pony whisky
- Repeat churning process until glass begins to frost.
- Wash and partially dry a long sprig of fresh mint and dip in powdered sugar
- Decorate glass with sugared mint spring and insert straw.
I love this Derby-inspired party. Happy sipping!