Happy New Year! This is a bit of a novel, so you may want to grab a drink and a snack...here goes.
I'm notoriously bad at the whole resolution game. Instead of specific goals, I vow to simply " Be Better" all around - be healthier, more present, work harder, the whole bit. While that's nice in theory, as Mr. C not so bluntly put it recently, "That doesn't mean anything." And, he's right. It really doesn't...it got me thinking. What can I do, in attainable terms, to be my best self. I'm still ironing out the details, but so far, here are a few:
1. Originally it was to eat cleaner, but with the left over Christmas cookies and ever-present cheese in my fridge, I wasn't off to a squeaky start. Instead, I've opted to let myself indulge in the delish treats as long as I drink half my body weight in water each day which to me, is harder. Hopefully my soon-to-be crystal clear complexion will overcome the fact that I'm peeing constantly.
2. Let go of some of that mom-guilt. Everyone has heard about this, and let me tell you, it. is. real. Backstory: I've scaled back to working part time from home, which is amazing, but it also means juggling, a lot. And even though I'm home most of the time, when I'm not, or when I'm home, but not as present, I feel horrible. This doesn't seem productive for anyone. Instead, I'm making a real effort to acknowledge those feelings, recognize that stepping away to get my nails done or enjoying a happy hour with colleagues does not in fact cancel out all the good-mom stuff I do day in and out.
3. Read. Before becoming a mom, I was a voracious reader. Afterward, not so much. Lately I've gotten back into it, and it literally makes me SO happy. The running list on my phone of books I want to read somehow disappeared, welp!, so please let me know if there are any good ones you'd recommend. The Last Mrs.Parrish is at the top of my list!
If you've made it this far, thank you! Here are a few extra tidbits that have been happening this week:
- For some reason I'm having a leggings moment. I know, I know, but honestly when it's snowy and cold outside, and I'm crawling around on the floor with the babe inside, jeans can feel a bit restrictive. These velvet ones seem like a nice hybrid between polished and practical. Add for under $20, also a no-brainer.
- A case for hibernating a bit more? Yes, please.
- As our 100 year old fixer upper transforms into the house of our dreams, I'm fantasizing about completely impractical, horse-before-cart details. Maybe we need to finish painting before we go all in on the gallery wall? Can't hurt to get some inspo!
-Summer is a while off, but this tote has me dreaming of sunny destinations.
- We recently got a new car (yay!) and I'm determined to keep it looking pristine. I love the idea of this organizer.
Hello, World! Did I completely fall off the face of the Earth? Not exactly...On September 27th, Mr. C and I welcomed our beautiful baby girl, and since then we have been in a full-on nesting frenzy. Guess that buying a house, moving, having a baby and attempting renovations all at the same time might have been a bit ambitious. #adulting, big time.