The first day of spring, it snowed. And although it was really just a dusting, it was as if Mother Nature was saying, "Now wait just a minute..." Thankfully it seems spring has spring (for real) and not a moment too soon! Here a few things I'm excited about this season:
- Farmer's Markets - We try to eat as seasonally as possible, and I'm so ready for zucchini, artichokes, fresh herbs, and sweet peas. Here is a cheat sheet for what produce to pick up this season.
-Tulips! Any color, any style, and combination is perfect. They add instant springiness (real word?) to any room and the more, the merrier!
- Banishing tights (and socks) for good. Each year, I do this rather stupid thing where once I stop wearing tights, I can't go back. Instead, I'll opt for fun patterned pants (these wide leg and these paisley print are amazing!) or jeans, flats and slightly chilled ankles. Does this make total sense? Not really, but it's a self-inflicted rule that I refuse to break. My bare ankles take a stance and will the warm weather upon us.
- Weekend escapes. We try to get out and explore all year round (two weeks ago we stayed in a 19th century lighthouse!), but doing so in the spring (and the fall) is the best! Warm enough to venture out of the car to check out hidden spots, but without the summer traffic!
- My Birthday!!
- Bike Rides. Lazy afternoon rides near the beach are my favorite. How fun are these cruisers in aqua?!
What's on your spring to-do list?
Daylight savings time is officially less than one month away (but whose counting?!), and I'm craving some sunny vibes. I've already switched up my bedding for a lighter, yet still cozy feel, indulged in some iced lattes, from under a heavy throw, and am ready to trade in my robe for a lighter, brighter version. While that may be jumping a bit too far ahead (it's literally snowing as I write this!), these lightweight beauties have me ready for spring.
1. Eberjay - Super delicate and feminine, this robe can easily be bridal, but doesn't have to be limited to just the big day.
2. Oscar de la Renta (Bloomingdales) - A fun poppy pattern makes it an easy transition piece.
3. Ralph Lauren (Bloomingdales) - A total classic. I love that it looks borrowed from the boys, but is still trim.
4. Pretty Plum Sugar - This one is my favorite! I love that it comes in a light and short version. And the eye mask? What's not to love?!
5. Pretty Plum Sugar - Featuring a soft poppy pattern, this is a fun, spring-y wrapper.
6. Calvin Klein - Incredibly soft, this dove gray option is the perfect weight to wear alone or thrown over pjs.
7. Oscar de la Renta (Bloomingdales) - I love this one! It begs to be taken somewhere sunny and the bright pattern could make for a fun cover up.
8. DKNY - Sure, it's black, but it's timeless and the texture is completely luxe.
Each year as we eagerly anticipate the Thaw, getting dressed each morning becomes a challenge. This year, it seems more difficult than ever - one day is gorgeous, the next is freezing, literally. Temperatures have been hovering at 43 degrees, but by mid-March the entire North East is ready...ready to put those tights away, ready to ditch that parka and ready to embrace all that is Summer in the city. This year, I'm welcoming Spring into my wardrobe with a few minor tweaks that seem to make all the difference.
- Pastel Power - Pastels are destined to be huge for Spring. I'm pairing cozy cashmere scarves in soft hues with my bolder winter jackets. The contrast between the light and dark feels polished, and the cashmere feels warm! My current favorite combination is cranberry and mint.
- Tailored, Angle-Length Pants - I recently picked up a great pair at Ann Taylor (here is a similar pair) that not only seems to match everything in my closet, but shows just a hint of ankle. That sliver of skin with a great pair of heels (or flats for that matter) instantly feels fresh and new.
- A Bold Lip - A classic red lip always works. Right now, I'm moving from my cool weather vermilion to warmer, more orange-based reds.
- Wearing White - That's right, I'm doing it way before Memorial Day. And that's okay because I'm pairing white jeans with a chunky black sweater or a classic chambray shirt for balance. However, do look for thicker denim to keep the warmth factor up.
- Cape Love - If the sun is shinning, I'll always opt for a cape moment. Look for one that cinches the waist to create definition, and opt for a sturdy, short handled bag, rather than a tote. Capes and shoulder bags do not mix well. I like to wear mine with an extra cashmere layer underneath in a coordinating shade. This way, the eye focuses on tailored silhouette.
I'm not one for DIY crafts, but this season, I'm determined to start an indoor herb garden. As a somewhat amateur cook, I love the idea of having fresh herbs readily available; however, as a non-existent gardener, the idea of growing something, especially in an apartment, seems a daunting task. (Though I must say our one little plant is so far surviving! This plant requires little water, or light, or effort...) Just think fresh basil for pizza or mint for mojitos...it's the perfect way to bring a bit more Spring indoors. Stay tuned to see how the garden grows!
Check out this great step-by-step guide on apartment therapy.
March is here, and I'm itching for warm weather. It's need to be here, like, yesterday. I'm ready to break out the Spring clothes, and never more so than the mid-length skirt. It feels entirely fresh and modern, all the while remaining totally work and brunch friendly. I love that it works for day and night, and can be dressed up with a white button down or a black crew neck t-shirt. I'm currently coveting this citrus number from Lord and Taylor, and by coveting, I mean #cannotwaittoown. It's happening. My favorite part, the pockets! That element alone makes this a must-have for future events, shows and openings.