Happy New Year! This is a bit of a novel, so you may want to grab a drink and a snack...here goes.
I'm notoriously bad at the whole resolution game. Instead of specific goals, I vow to simply " Be Better" all around - be healthier, more present, work harder, the whole bit. While that's nice in theory, as Mr. C not so bluntly put it recently, "That doesn't mean anything." And, he's right. It really doesn't...it got me thinking. What can I do, in attainable terms, to be my best self. I'm still ironing out the details, but so far, here are a few:
1. Originally it was to eat cleaner, but with the left over Christmas cookies and ever-present cheese in my fridge, I wasn't off to a squeaky start. Instead, I've opted to let myself indulge in the delish treats as long as I drink half my body weight in water each day which to me, is harder. Hopefully my soon-to-be crystal clear complexion will overcome the fact that I'm peeing constantly.
2. Let go of some of that mom-guilt. Everyone has heard about this, and let me tell you, it. is. real. Backstory: I've scaled back to working part time from home, which is amazing, but it also means juggling, a lot. And even though I'm home most of the time, when I'm not, or when I'm home, but not as present, I feel horrible. This doesn't seem productive for anyone. Instead, I'm making a real effort to acknowledge those feelings, recognize that stepping away to get my nails done or enjoying a happy hour with colleagues does not in fact cancel out all the good-mom stuff I do day in and out.
3. Read. Before becoming a mom, I was a voracious reader. Afterward, not so much. Lately I've gotten back into it, and it literally makes me SO happy. The running list on my phone of books I want to read somehow disappeared, welp!, so please let me know if there are any good ones you'd recommend. The Last Mrs.Parrish is at the top of my list!
If you've made it this far, thank you! Here are a few extra tidbits that have been happening this week:
- For some reason I'm having a leggings moment. I know, I know, but honestly when it's snowy and cold outside, and I'm crawling around on the floor with the babe inside, jeans can feel a bit restrictive. These velvet ones seem like a nice hybrid between polished and practical. Add for under $20, also a no-brainer.
- A case for hibernating a bit more? Yes, please.
- As our 100 year old fixer upper transforms into the house of our dreams, I'm fantasizing about completely impractical, horse-before-cart details. Maybe we need to finish painting before we go all in on the gallery wall? Can't hurt to get some inspo!
-Summer is a while off, but this tote has me dreaming of sunny destinations.
- We recently got a new car (yay!) and I'm determined to keep it looking pristine. I love the idea of this organizer.
Top 3 Mama Beauty Must-Haves
Effortlessly polished in a flash
Having a baby is a beautiful thing. It is also an all-consuming thing. And when you're juggling the babe, work and home, a girl learns to fine tune their multitasking skills, fast, especially in the beauty department. Here are a few of my current favorites:
A tried and true skincare regimen. Ok, ok, not a specific product, but having a skincare regimen that works for you has never been more important. There are hormonal fluctuations (oh hey adult acne!?) and some days where make-up is just not in the cards, so having a bare face that you feel confident in here is key. (And sunglasses to hide those late night dark circles always help, too.) I've said it time and time again, but VMV Hypoallergenics is my go-to. Gentle formulas that work - a serious must-try for mamas with sensitive skin. Bonus: They have items that work for mama AND baby, even newborns.
Concealer. Sleep can be fleeting, but just a touch of Cle de Peau concealer lets me fake 8-hours. (Yes, the price tag is steep, but a little goes a long way so the tube lasts forever. I've also heard really good things about this one from It Cosmetics that is a fraction of the cost. )
Lipstick. Red, berry, pink (this is not the time to go nude) - a pop of color instantly brightens your face, and give you a pulled together look. And since I refuse to not let my lip color stand in the way of giving infinite kisses and snuggles to my little, I opt for a budge-proof formula that won't transfer to her sensitive skin. (I'm always looking for new long-lasting formulas, so let me know if you have any favorites!)
What are you must-haves for getting out the door looking pulled together?
<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12041741/?claim=2gkdgjjegar">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>
Long associated with effortless chic, Aerin Lauder has teamed up with Williams Sonoma for a home collection that is truly and utterly drool-worthy! It has all her signature elements, white and gold with a hint of island a la palm frond that I can't get enough of (Hello, get in my kitchen!), and a touch of fresh blue pattern that has me craving for an excuse to dine alfresco. The collection covers a variety of price points and offers oodles of giftable items (one of you, one for me, two for you, two for me...). Here are a few of my favorites:
Check out the complete collection here.
Hello, World! Did I completely fall off the face of the Earth? Not exactly...On September 27th, Mr. C and I welcomed our beautiful baby girl, and since then we have been in a full-on nesting frenzy. Guess that buying a house, moving, having a baby and attempting renovations all at the same time might have been a bit ambitious. #adulting, big time.
Happy first day of fall! It still feels a bit like summer outside, so to tap into an Autumnal mood, I'm looking towards this inspiration board. Full of cozy knits, neutral layers, and no shortage of decadent seasonal treats, I'm ready to welcome the new season!
What's inspiring you this season?
I love summer, but there is something irresistible about those first crisp days of fall. The days get shorter and wrapping up in a cozy throw to fight off that first chill is undeniably cozy. We have bundles of them in each room (the ones that are handmade are in constant rotation) and in the trunk of our car for impromptu picnics. Here are few gorgeous neutral throws to stock up on this season:
New York Fashion Week! And while the temperatures are still hovering around 80 #thankyouverymuch, this week truly marks the start of fall, much more so than Labor Day. Fashion enthusiasts the world over start to swarm the city, and every corner turns in to an impromptu photo shoot for street style. And while of course, this makes traffic a nightmare; it also re-energizes the city. It's a buzz that feels almost palpable and full of promise for the season to come. I, for one, can't wait!
If there was one beauty item I couldn't live without, it would be without a doubt, red lipstick (with concealer and mascara as close seconds if I'm choosy). And this fact may be why I have so many in my overflowing makeup arsenal. (What IS all that other stuff anyway?!) A bold red lip adds instant polish, ups the cool factor and is an accessory in it's own right. Here are a few of my rouge faves:
Splurge: Cle de Peau Beaute Extra Rich Lipstick #311 ($65, cledepeaubeaute.com)
Super highly pigmented, this show-stopping red lasts all day with minimal touch-ups, and the perfect cool blue-red tone is perfect for when you're in between teeth whitenings.
Steal: Sonia Kushuk Satin Luxe Lipstick in Classic Red ($9.99, Target)
True to it's name, this lipstick gives a satiny finish that instantly dresses up even the most basic t-shirt and jeans. Add stripes to channel your inner French Girl.
Splurge: Anastasia Liquid Lipstick in Sarafine ($20, AnastasiaBeverlyHills.com)
OK, not technically a lipstick...BUT although it applies like a gloss, it has none of gloss' stickiness and wears forever.
Steal: Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lip Color in Siren in Scarlet ($8, drugstores)
When it comes to red lips, matte feels more impactful, and for less than $10, this one can't be beat!
What's your favorite red lipstick?
So here's the thing - I apparently fell off the face of the earth. I couldn't believe it when I looked back at my last entry - APRIL!?! Surely that was wrong, but lo and behold, it was not, and this was/is a problem. Life happens as it does - work, house-hunting, wedding season, summer travel, grocery shopping, major milestones, lead remediation, birthdays - and here it is, the end of July. Seriously. And as a result, writing has fallen to the wayside. But I'm back after my unintentional hiatus and determined to refocus with fresh ideas, new recipes and loads more content. Cue end of tirade. Thanks for bearing with me!
Who knew there was so much to learn about cutting board maintenance?
It's time to re-evaluate our media diet.
Giving these jean alternatives some serious consideration.
This cheat sheet on keeping houseplants alive is mandatory reading.
How to sip your way to a flawless complexion. (Spoiler alert: Lots of water ahead.)
Our new-found favorite day date spot is here.