Last night I was reading “A Brief Respite” in the New York Times Magazine and was knocked out by the phrase that “a nap might be the highest form of wellness”. While not a napper by nature, after having a child whose sleep habits are a sporadic (at best), napping has been more survival than luxury…and not to mention… kind of amazing. But honestly is there anything more decadent than falling asleep AND waking up on your own with sun-dappled light pouring in? Um, if you’re a parent of a child that keeps unusual nocturnal hours, the answer is a big. glaring. no. Here are a few must-haves for elevating the basic snooze.
I love summer, but there is something irresistible about those first crisp days of fall. The days get shorter and wrapping up in a cozy throw to fight off that first chill is undeniably cozy. We have bundles of them in each room (the ones that are handmade are in constant rotation) and in the trunk of our car for impromptu picnics. Here are few gorgeous neutral throws to stock up on this season:
This week was a short, jam-packed one - think early morning bake sessions, impromptu dinner parties and play catch-up from the holiday weekend. Here are a few things that have caught my eye this week:
- I think we all have a somewhat awkward part of our home to decorate. You know that seemingly random alcove, that almost-room that isn't quite big enough to be a true room, but isn't a closet, that tiny desk area...that can barely fit a desk. (For me, its a single built-in shelving unit with super deep shelves.) Consider your decorating nightmares solved with this.
- Don't you love when you rediscover a beauty product? Today I found an old nail polish that is the perfect pop of red, Pepperoni Red in fact. I think it's discontinued now, but Aperitif and Fishnet Stockings are also at the top of my red list.
- I really find sample sales intimidating - all these women clamoring over clothing and accessories. This week I braced myself for one at C. Wonder one. It was pretty tame (by sample sale standards, and I was able to pick up a few holiday prep gifts. (They are coming up before you know it!) Stock up on a few little things (like these) for upcoming get-togethers.
- These dreamy built-in shelves.
- We recently had She-Crab Soup, and I've been thinking about it ever since. Next food challenge has been chosen. This recipe looks like a winner.