Happy Friday and 1st day of Summer! It’s currently pouring here (going on day four AND simultaneously potty training Miss H - omg), but I’m desperately attempting a summer state of mind. Gimme all the fresh veggies (we made this Bo Bun salad last night from Gwyneth Paltrow’s It’s All Easy cookbook - so yum, albeit maybe a bit ambitious for a week night), summery mocktails and beachy reads (recently finished The High Season by Judy Blundell and now scouring zillow for property out East). Here are a few things I’m loving this Friday:
SAVE - Attention mamas, pin, save, screenshot, do whatever you need to do to bookmark this incredible list of things to do with little ones this summer from Sarah Joy.
DESIGN - Here is a list of 2019’s trending paint colors. I’m all about the twist on dark greens right now.
Get - Does anyone else react horribly to mosquito bites? I love this piece from Real Simple that speaks to plants that naturally ward off these warm weather pests.
MAKE - Unsweetened iced tea is one of my favorites. I like to make my sun tea early in the morning and let it brew slowly in the sun until the afternoon. However, I just discovered these amazing quick cold-brew bags from Twinnings, and they are so, so good for that afternoon pick-me-up. Perfectly steeped in five minutes and you’re good to go. Currently sipping on Peach.
READ - At the risk of sounding trite, small changes can have a huge impact. I loved this piece from The Girl Guide on being kinder to the environment. No soap-boxy guilt-trips, just a few great tips on how to green up your routine. Stephanie nailed it! (Total admission, I was glad I was already doing most of these!)
WEAR - I love Quay sunglasses. They offer a huge variety of styles at a price point you wont lose sleep over if you leave at the beach. Check out their quiz to find your ideal pair. PS - why is everything Australian just so much cooler?
Last night I was reading “A Brief Respite” in the New York Times Magazine and was knocked out by the phrase that “a nap might be the highest form of wellness”. While not a napper by nature, after having a child whose sleep habits are a sporadic (at best), napping has been more survival than luxury…and not to mention… kind of amazing. But honestly is there anything more decadent than falling asleep AND waking up on your own with sun-dappled light pouring in? Um, if you’re a parent of a child that keeps unusual nocturnal hours, the answer is a big. glaring. no. Here are a few must-haves for elevating the basic snooze.
I love summer, but there is something irresistible about those first crisp days of fall. The days get shorter and wrapping up in a cozy throw to fight off that first chill is undeniably cozy. We have bundles of them in each room (the ones that are handmade are in constant rotation) and in the trunk of our car for impromptu picnics. Here are few gorgeous neutral throws to stock up on this season:
This week was a short, jam-packed one - think early morning bake sessions, impromptu dinner parties and play catch-up from the holiday weekend. Here are a few things that have caught my eye this week:
- I think we all have a somewhat awkward part of our home to decorate. You know that seemingly random alcove, that almost-room that isn't quite big enough to be a true room, but isn't a closet, that tiny desk area...that can barely fit a desk. (For me, its a single built-in shelving unit with super deep shelves.) Consider your decorating nightmares solved with this.
- Don't you love when you rediscover a beauty product? Today I found an old nail polish that is the perfect pop of red, Pepperoni Red in fact. I think it's discontinued now, but Aperitif and Fishnet Stockings are also at the top of my red list.
- I really find sample sales intimidating - all these women clamoring over clothing and accessories. This week I braced myself for one at C. Wonder one. It was pretty tame (by sample sale standards, and I was able to pick up a few holiday prep gifts. (They are coming up before you know it!) Stock up on a few little things (like these) for upcoming get-togethers.
- These dreamy built-in shelves.
- We recently had She-Crab Soup, and I've been thinking about it ever since. Next food challenge has been chosen. This recipe looks like a winner.