Happy Friday and 1st day of Summer! It’s currently pouring here (going on day four AND simultaneously potty training Miss H - omg), but I’m desperately attempting a summer state of mind. Gimme all the fresh veggies (we made this Bo Bun salad last night from Gwyneth Paltrow’s It’s All Easy cookbook - so yum, albeit maybe a bit ambitious for a week night), summery mocktails and beachy reads (recently finished The High Season by Judy Blundell and now scouring zillow for property out East). Here are a few things I’m loving this Friday:
SAVE - Attention mamas, pin, save, screenshot, do whatever you need to do to bookmark this incredible list of things to do with little ones this summer from Sarah Joy.
DESIGN - Here is a list of 2019’s trending paint colors. I’m all about the twist on dark greens right now.
Get - Does anyone else react horribly to mosquito bites? I love this piece from Real Simple that speaks to plants that naturally ward off these warm weather pests.
MAKE - Unsweetened iced tea is one of my favorites. I like to make my sun tea early in the morning and let it brew slowly in the sun until the afternoon. However, I just discovered these amazing quick cold-brew bags from Twinnings, and they are so, so good for that afternoon pick-me-up. Perfectly steeped in five minutes and you’re good to go. Currently sipping on Peach.
READ - At the risk of sounding trite, small changes can have a huge impact. I loved this piece from The Girl Guide on being kinder to the environment. No soap-boxy guilt-trips, just a few great tips on how to green up your routine. Stephanie nailed it! (Total admission, I was glad I was already doing most of these!)
WEAR - I love Quay sunglasses. They offer a huge variety of styles at a price point you wont lose sleep over if you leave at the beach. Check out their quiz to find your ideal pair. PS - why is everything Australian just so much cooler?
Who knew there was so much to learn about cutting board maintenance?
It's time to re-evaluate our media diet.
Giving these jean alternatives some serious consideration.
This cheat sheet on keeping houseplants alive is mandatory reading.
How to sip your way to a flawless complexion. (Spoiler alert: Lots of water ahead.)
Our new-found favorite day date spot is here.
Reason 1001 why old Hollywood was classier than today - their vacation style.
For those who love to bake, this is a game-changer.
Why featuring some greenery in the bathroom might be the best idea ever.
This blush shoe moment has me craving spring!
-Ask yourself this - are you in need of a chic-over?
-I used to think canning was a little Pioneer Woman, and honestly, it is AND it's the best thing ever. Applesauce was my gateway drug, and now I'm totally on board. Check out this for canning inspiration.
- Growing up, my family has always been full of morning people. I'm talking no alarm clock, up with the sun, annoyed that paper hasn't been delivered yet and it's 5:15, morning people. And in true nature form, I'm gradually waking up earlier and earlier, although I still often depend on my alarm clock. Check out the routines of these morning motivators to get see how much you could be doing while everyone else is still snoozing.
- And while productive mornings are incredible, it's also important to go to bed early to get some much needed rest. Case in point.
-The East Coast has really been spoiled with our Indian Summer, but alas it is starting to cool down. If the idea of shortened days gives you the shutters, read this. You may just be inspired.
TGIF! Here are a few finds that I've been loving this week:
- Girl crush confession - I'm a bit enamored by women who seem to have it completely together. I'm talking about the women who have run 5 miles, in flawless sportswear, cooked an amazing breakfast, pulled together Instaworthy lunches in their spotless kitchens all by the time you've had to wake up and drink an espresso. This amazing piece in Business Insider sheds some light on how some people seem to get more done.
- As an HGTV enthusiast, I love the idea of scoping out secret gems at flea markets, but in reality I'm often overwhelmed. Check this out for how to best upcycle those vintage finds.
- Speaking of vintage, these retro kitchens were ahead of their time.
- It's never to early to think about adding staple clothing to your wardrobe. This jacket is incredible.
- Adding a scarf is an easy way to infuse extra oomph to a simple outfit. This easy-to-follow gif breaks down the looks. I'm obsessed with the bow-tie for work and the head wrap for weekends.
Some weeks, the word crazy just doesn't seem to do it justice. And after a relaxing trip to the Caribbean (more details on that soon), heading back to reality felt especially well, real. In the midst of playing catch-up on life, these 5 things have caught my eye:
Social Media Formulas - Want more IG likes? Apparently there is a method to the madness. Check it out.
Summer is all about fresh produce. Consider this your farmer's market cheat sheet. Current obsession - fresh plums.
This bag has everything for the warmer months - clean, streamlined design, perfect handles and a touch of monogram. Perfection.
Newly discovered and totally enamored - cutest gift idea for every occasion.
As is evidence in the lack of recent posts, the last few weeks have been utterly hectic - a cold that finally reared it's ugly head after weeks of vitamin-C-binges, late calls and a rotating (somewhat unpredictable) social calendar - exhaustion had set in. But at last, I'm blissfully back to writing, and here are the 5 things that I'm obsessed with this week.
- Ever since reading about it in the NY Post, I've been utterly captivated, and I am itching to get my hands on a copy of this book.
- Watermelon has already become our desert of choice. Apparently we're not the only ones.
- While I love to cook, on especially warm evenings, it's nice to have a no-oven-necessary meal. These wraps look incredible!
- Maybe it was the Vogue cover or maybe the idea of a period film, but this movie looks so sweet.
Happy Friday! This week has been a busy one (when is it not, really?) but these are worth taking pause for:
- Can't stop thinking about this dress. It may have to happen.
- Harper's broke down style icons by city. I think NYC needs a recount. Dallas is spot on.
- This book is currently on my nightstand. It's fun any breezy and makes me long for 1950's NYC.
- Martha knows best. Check out her breakdown of pantry must-haves to always have stocked. Do you have anything you need?
- This week's mask was pushed back until Wednesday, but this one made it worth the wait!
This week has positively flown by! It's starting to actually feel like spring, and I'm thrilled to finally put away (for real this time!) my winter coat. Here is what I've been obsessed with this week:
- Pound Cakes are arguably the little black dress of the cake world. Dress them up with strawberries and heavy cream or go purist and plain. Ether way they are delicious every-single-time. Check this out for more ways to style this culinary classic. I'm drooling over this one!
- One of my good friends recently purchased her first home, and I'm dying to see it! I love the idea of giving more than just a standard bottle of wine or flowers. This housewarming gift is perfection.
- T Magazine is always a pleasure to read, and this recent story from the Men's Fashion issue by Andrew O'Hagan was so well-written, so on-point, so everything, I had to read it aloud to Mr. C., who wholeheartedly concurred. Everything Mr. O'Hagan writes is pure pleasure.
- I've always appreciated a good hat, but thus far, my wear has been limited to the beach and the slopes. I'm lusting after this one and dreaming of all the places I could wear it.
-Just discovered this gorgeous instagram account, and it's making me want all grey everything.
This last week has truly been a whirlwind of events, crazy weather and travel. After a super speedy trip to the West coast (more on that later), I'm dreaming of sunny days ahead. Here are a few finds to tide us over until Spring officially arrives.
- March means Irish Soda Bread. Check this out to see if your favorite version is a true classic.
- One my favorite childhood movies, The Sound of Music, just celebrated its 50th anniversary. While, of course, the singing is the star of the show, I always loved the incredible homes and grounds where the movie takes place, and the rolling hills surrounded by the Austrian Alps, feels very spring-y to me. Check this out for a glimpse into the movie's incredible filming location. This one is my favorite, and this is a close second!
- Nothing says warm weather like a cold glass of iced tea. Today we're taking advantage of a few hours of sunshine to make sun tea. This step-by-step makes nailing the proportions super easy.
- I couldn't be more excited about the Spring Suede movement. Need some inspiration? Check this out.